Monday, June 20, 2016

#102 Miracle Week

Can't keep quiet during class

We'll, I'm starting to come to the realization that it's quite possible that the stranger you're talking to on a lonely street corner or in a bustling market or in the queue of a ritzy mall has spent countless nights upon their knees, likely callused by now, praying to know that God is there and pleading for His intervention in their lives. And for whatever reason, you're fulfilling that heartfelt hopeful prayer bringing hope and love and power into the life of that individual.

It's been an amazing first week with the new assignment and with my new comrade. I feel like I have strep throat cuz my throat is literally spent and hoarse, but it is well with the soul. We've been all over the mission, helping missionaries learn how to find investigators, and oh what an experience that it has been. I've been amazed that in EVERY single area we've journeyed into, there has been at least one, if not several people who you KNEW were Elect, whom you knew would turn into followers of Christ. 

Standing in contrast to the wonderful times, it has been tough as well, especially when endeavoring to tackle some of the English/Afrikaans areas that traditionally struggle the most with landing new investigators, but it's been cool to see that there are Elect, even behind the fort Knox walls of the vista estates, and there is a broken heart behind the sleek Mercedes and electric fences. But there's always a lot of opposition on the other side of the spectrum, and repeatedly throughout the week I've felt like a little baby as tears run to my eyes when people can't see through the blue book and weird clothing and nametags and easily dismiss us as annoyers of the truth and disturbers of the public peace. Not realizing that this is Christ revealing His pure love to them. Unaware that the thing they are raising their voice against and hiding their faces from is the very thing that the Living Christ offered and is offering, while he walked the dusty roads of Palestine, healing the sick and raising the dead. Healing people’s lives, and putting the puzzle of heart pieces back in the right places. He still walks and talks today, and many times His Voice is wearing a black nametag, must be His style.

Anyways, it's just interesting how there's me, having like 3 weeks or something left on mission just learning more and more each day.. It's crazy. Like it's cool, now when I talk to someone, I stop caring about myself, and the possibility of rejection, and sounding cool. For some reason, not to my credit at all, now I can just look at people in their eyes and totally just try to lose all of my comfort zone and say what I'm supposed to say to that person, trying to become totally an instrument. It's wild. And it's hard.

Alright, well sorry to bore you with all this spiritual stuff I learned this week, it was a great one. Just one last spiritual thing for you, especially for anyone who is fence-sitting, or even allegedly fence-sitting on the prospect of serving a mission.

On June 17, 2016, I was sitting in the South Africa Johannesburg temple next to a dear friend named Zebulon Malatji, and eish guys, I've been crying way too much these days, but tears streamed down my face as I had flashbacks of one year ago, walking through a remote village in the mountains of Limpopo, knocking on a door of a single, lost guy looking for purpose in his life named Zebulon. And then, exactly a year after I saw him dressed in white, entering into a baptismal font that we had to chase all the red poisonous frogs out of because it hadn't held water in ages; I was sitting by him, and by his newly wed, dressed in white, as they received promises and blessings from a Loving God in the temple in this faraway land. It was even more special, as my companion and I sat in a very special room, witnessing someone with Authority from God seal upon our friends a matrimony of the royalist level;  for time and all eternity. And as Elder Tanner Clegg, a stupid kid from Utah with an embarrassing ACT score that liked buying cheap clothes and skiing every day and going to the beach as often as his parents would let him, he thought this thought: "The decision to serve a mission, will not only affect you. It inevitably will bless somebody else's life for eternity. There may be someone waiting for you, in a remote village of Africa, or maybe remote in the sense of being remote of the testimony and love of God, who is sitting in darkness, yearning for light." Tears (eish this is embarrassing) rolled down my face again, as I prayed and thanked God with all I had that I was privileged enough to be an advocate of happiness, and tell people about Jesus. And see at least one life change, of a dear friend, whose door I knocked on, in a village in the middle of nowhere in Africa. There's someone. SOMEONE. Waiting for you my dear friend, I just know it.  They will be blessed with the best blessings God has to offer, and you can help to unlock that for someone else, it's an amazing thing.

Well, I think that's about all I've got for today. There are people who are kept from the truth, simply because they don't know where to find it. Joseph Smith's validity is confirmed alone by that one statement in section 123. I've seen it firsthand this week, and will continue to see it.


It was cool, when President Dunn prayed with Elder Swindle and I at the beginning of this experience, he asked for the spirit of adventure and exploration, and I'm telling you it's happening. 

Alright, I love you guys. Keep me in your prayers, and keep mostly the South Africans in your prayers. Cheers

Tanner Noah Clegg

No comments:

Post a Comment