Monday, June 13, 2016

#101 "Can I get a Hallelujah!"

Gonna miss the good old MTB

I've lost my American English, so all of you who are disprivledged enough to come to my homecoming might get some laughs.   (Which will be July 31...by the mom)

Wow, what a week. And what an amazing week ahead. And what an amazing last month on mission ahead. I'm not sure what emotion I'm filled with right now but I like it.

This week, President Dunn called me and told me to meet him at the mission home. So we went there, he dragged me into his room that he usually grills missionaries in (jk he's the nicest guy alive). Anyways he talked a lot about some ideas that have been running in his crazy and inspired mind, of things he's been noticing and feedback from other missionaries on the struggles of our mission, etc. etc.

And he wants to try something totally crazy and new that I'm unbelievably stoked for.

He released me from my current assignment, and gave me a new one. It's called operation F.I.T (Find Investigators Team).

So basically, me and one of my closest mission friends since day 1 (Elder Swindlehurst), will be traveling the length and breadth of the South Africa Johannesburg Mission, with one goal and purpose in mind, which is to find as many new investigators as possible.

So for the next 4 weeks of my stay in South Africa, my only job will be to talk to as many of God's Children as possible that can fall under my voice, and share the gospel with them. To join with the areas which are traditionally ineffective with finding new investigators, and see if we can't come in contact with those who are "Kept from the truth, because they know not where to find it". We'll sleep on the road, usually; with other missionaries in their areas. We have a temporary residence behind the mission home, and a laptop to record our data, cuz we have like a totally new set of key-indicators we're piloting. So it's just gonna be insane and fun and awesome. And I look forward to growing closer to God through all of this.
Gonna miss Elder Pickup

So, no more planning MLC's, transfers, zone conferences, family road trips, baptismal records, or dinner with famous people. And I'll miss the Dunns like crazy because they are like the best thing that's ever happened to me and have helped me like none other could to battle through the trials of mission. But, I'm going to leave this land kicking hard, and I'm sooo unbelievably stoked for this new assignment with one of my best buds, Elder Swindle(who by the way I've slept in his church parking lot in Newport Beach a couple of times with Grant and McCall and other friends). Maybe I'm even frothy.

Alright, all of that is exciting but hey get this:

Remember Zebulon? The guy from that remote village called Mokgolobotho right outside of the paradisiacal town of Tzaneen who was baptized a year ago Sunday? Well he and his newly-wed are coming down to the South Africa Johannesburg Temple this Friday, June 17 to be endowed and sealed for time and eternity. The thing that gives me chills is that's the same day that my best bud Derik will enter into the Timpanogas Utah Temple to be sealed for time and all eternity to his sweetheart and partner in crime. June 17 will be a big day to remember, a special day for the 2 dearest of friends. I love you both like crazy.

Anyways, needless to say, I'm happy. And I believe in God. Even though sometimes I get confused and do know why to believe, I believe anyway. His hand is in the details. Keep me in your prayers, I'll need the strength and protection. Weird to say that but I really will. And hope I don't freeze to death cuz it's insanely cold. Love you guy’s sooo so much. Can't believe I only have 4 weeks in this magnificent land of Africa. I’ll miss it dearly. I'll miss these people. But I'm gonna cherish this new opportunity. Cheers
Another Kool experience this week that my grandma will love-

As a finding idea we've been placing copies of the Liahona in barber shops and dentist offices and places like that. Getting it out there and also generating conversations with the shop owners and also it was an easy way to not get kicked out of places. And anyways we went into one hair cutting place owned by two Islamic guys, one of them from Northern Africa in Morocco, and the other one from Jordan, just east of the Dead Sea. They were super intrigued by our message, and I was able to get hold of an Arabic Book of Mormon and give it to them.


The cool part is that my Grandma Brown played a huge role in translating the Book of Mormon from English into Arabic. So I thought my grandma would like this picture. 

E Tanner Noah Clegg

Pedalling
I used to think of God as my observer, my judge, keeping track of the things I did wrong, so as to know whether I merited heaven or hell when I die. He was out there, sort of like a president. I recognized His picture when I saw it, but I didn't really know Him.

But later on, when I met Jesus, it seemed as though life was rather like a bike, but it was a tandem bike, and I noticed that Jesus was in the back helping me pedal. I didn't know just when it was He suggested we change, but life has not been the same since I took the back-seat to Jesus, my Lord. He makes life exciting. When I had control, I thought I knew the way. It was rather boring, but predictable. It was the shortest distance between two points.

But when He took the lead, He knew delightful long cuts, up mountains, and through rocky places and at break-through speeds; it was all I could do to hang on! Even though it often looked like madness, He said, "Pedal!" I was worried and anxious and asked, "Where are you taking me?" He laughed and didn't answer and I started to learn to trust. I forgot my boring life and entered into adventure. And when I'd say, "I'm scared", He'd lean back and touch my hand.

He took me to people with gifts that I needed, gifts of healing, acceptance and joy. They gave me their gifts to take on my journey, our journey, my Lord's and mine. And we were off again. He said, "Give the gifts away; they're extra baggage, too much weight." So I did, to the people we met, and I found in giving I received, and still our burden was light.

I did not trust Him, at first, in control of my life. I thought He'd wreck it, but He knows bike secrets, knows how to make it bend to take sharp corners, jump to clear high rocks, fly to shorten scary passages. And I am learning to shut up and pedal in the strangest places, and I'm beginning to enjoy the view and the cool breeze on my face with my delightful constant companion, Jesus.

And when I'm sure I just can't do any more, He just smiles and says... "Pedal."
(Author unknown)

2 comments:

  1. What a great post. I am so happy that he is so "stoked" for this last and great assignment. He will be so great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elder Clegg is an amazing missionary!

    ReplyDelete