Monday, May 9, 2016

#96 Die Dag Van MaFro (The day of ladies)



Well I totally thought I took a bunch of sick awe-inspiring notes this week so I could write a legit mothers-day email home but I can't see them anywhere. 

Anyways, I hate to give a travelogue of the week, but it was such a sick week... so that's what I'm gonna do.

After a lekker mountain bike over in Centurion on Monday, we had an awesome exchange with the Elders in Kagiso. Kagiso is a township-suburb of the world’s biggest township being Soweto. I was with Elder Chakanyuka, a newly called trainer who is from Zimbabwe, and who is opening the area. It was such an unreal day, and it was good to be walking through the streets of the township again. On the same level as the people there. I used to feel weird being the only white guy in the entire Khasi, but now it's as if I've lived there my entire life, the whole culture is engrained within me. And I love Africa like a friend that has always got your back even when you screw up all the time. It was a testimony builder to me to see how God led us to His children who needed us at that time. I learn more and more everyday about what it means to have the name of Christ engraved within you. You're literally his hands, mouth, feet and eyes, and he puts you with those who have been praying to find you... it really is true, I can't fight against that because I see it happen too often.
After a long dusty hot day of walking and walking and talking and talking with people, my throat was a mess, coarse cuz it had been talking all day. Those are my favorite days. 

Anyways after the awesome exchange- we have this super cool thing of loading up all the missionaries at the South Africa MTC and talking them out to do a real-life in-field proselyting experience, which is always a cherished privilege. WE coordinate with our guys in Soweto and split two MTC missionaries to one normal missionary and go out for two hours. SO we were able to do that, which was the coolest thing. I was with two Elders from Zambia, and it was just one of those times where your eyes are opened to how far the gospel has really come, where even those in the remotest of Africa are responding to the clarion call to bless the earth with the fullness of the gospel. It was a great day, I always love doing that.

Then on Thursday morning, we packed up a big trailer full of beds and desks and missionary stuff and followed President and Sister Dunn up to Nelspruit to spend the weekend with the missionaries up there. On the way up we stopped at this campsite to spend the night cuz the drive is super long, and it was cool to just look up into the Mpumalanga sky, without a lumens of light pollution to distort the glorious night sky. I felt like I was up in the mountains with my bruus back at home, only I was with my companion and Mission President and Sister Dunn. It was so legit, I took a couple pictures of the sky. I'm telling you, in Africa- the Milky Way is MILKY. I'll try to attach some pictures. Some point & shoot long exp pictures lol.

Then on Friday morning we woke up before light and pulled out the bikes from the trailer, and biked up an old logging trail 16 Km's straight uphill, and I was totally humiliated by everyone, especially sister Dunn, who was riding circles around me :). 
Sister Dunn rides super fast!


After the excruciating climb, we had the SICKEST ride down, like it was unreal, the best MTB I've ever done. I think that redbull does some races there, anyways it was insanely cool. Good time with good friends.

After the gnarliest descent recorded in the history of man, we packed up our camp and finished our drive to the beautiful land of Nelspruit, the last remaining out-of-Gauteng gem in our mission, after we lost Tzaneen and all the Limpopo areas- we had another awesome finding activity on the streets of Nelspruit, I'll try to attach more pictures of that. I Guarantee my Mission President is cooler than yours, He's the only guy ever over 50 that's stood in the middle of a busy dangerous road with me and contacted people in their cars during a red light. People are always jaw-dropping when we do that cuz hardly ever do they see nicely-dressed white guys giving stuff away- usually it's people in rags begging for a couple rands.


President Dunn talking with the locals.





After that, we went on exchanges with the four Elders up there. I went with the KaNyamazane Elders; E Hosmer and E Gwaka. E Hosmer is from Idaho and E Gwaka is from Tanzania. Sister Dunn even came and taught a lesson with us which was tight.
Had the most unreal exchange with them. KaNyamazane is one of the only few remaining villages in our mission with the presence of the church. It was cool to see, like I saw in Tzaneen; that the blessings and power of Christ are for everyone; the black and white, the filthiest of the rich and dirtiest of the poor. Met some amazing people in the village in the mountains. Was good to be back in the roots of Africa again. 

Saturday morning we did a New-missionary orientation which was cool as always, and we continued the exchange for the rest of the day. I'm literally the most blessed kid under Heaven to have been able to be a part of it. 

Sunday morning we went to church in Nelspruit, which is a bought-out old Afrikaans church with some 'tribute to the pastor' on the cornerstone in the front. Really amazing to see how powerful the saints are up there. To see young men and women preparing to serve missions. 

Drove down after church on Sunday back to the land of Gauteng. Then I got to call my family, which was the only thing that could top the unreal events that transpired in the previous week.


I love you guys. Sorry again for giving you a travelogue. Grateful for my mom, who taught me not to doubt, for God would deliver me. I'm finding that more and more to be true... it really is. And I wouldn't say that unless some extraterrestrial feeling had coursed through my veins telling me that this stuff I'm sharing actually is real. It comes and goes. Sometimes too sporadically that doubts and unbelief begin to surface... but it comes, and I guess that is the important thing. Just wanna end with a wonderful written depiction of the Saviors love and faith Himself:

"14 ¶And when they were come to the multitude, there came to him a certain man, kneeling down to him, and saying,
 15 Lord, have mercy on my son: for he is lunatic, and sore vexed: for ofttimes he falleth into the fire, and oft into the water.
 16 And I brought him to thy disciples, and they could not cure him.
 17 Then Jesus answered and said, O faithless and perverse generation, how long shall I be with you? How long shall I suffer you? Bring him hither to me.

 18 And Jesus rebuked the devil; and he departed out of him: and the child was cured from that very hour.
 19 Then came the disciples to Jesus apart, and said, why could not we cast him out?
 20 And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, if ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.

Faith is real... Good things happen to you if you believe in God. Believe in Him, and believe that He is using you to shape the world into a better place.

Anyway love you guys. Hope you have a great week. Cheers

E Tanner Noah Clegg

1 comment:

  1. Love this post.....love this missionary as my own son. He is the best and I cannot wait to meet his parents..soon!

    ReplyDelete