Monday, October 5, 2015

#65 entanda nsqogo zako

Elders Broadhead, Clegg, Hlophe, Ndwandwe and President Dunn


Another week Pelile in the city of Springs, South Africa. My Afrikaans has expanded it's vocabulary, my Zulu is getting more manqoba zonke day by day, but most importantly my testimony is growing and strengthening drop by drop. Bikki bikki maak mier.

All you mhlegaaz are lucky to have watched conference. Clear down here in mZanzi we've gotta wait a month or two.

Funny story.  For pday we played rugby for a few hours and playing rugby in the heat is super exhauasting.

So after we finished playing rugby in the Rynveld chapel, we were driving back to Springs and I was super thirsty and hot. So anyways it was close to rush hour at the exit that goes to Daveyton on the left, and Springs on the right, and so during high traffic there's always a bunch of guys selling cool times (like these super good Popsicle things) to the people waiting in their cars. So I was looking for two rand everywhere and I couldn't find any money, and I really really wanted one of those cool times.

So finally, when we reached the guy I looked in the backseat for some money and I saw the boxes of Book of Mormons we have, so I grabbed one and I was like 'can I trade you this for a cool time' and he was like 'ya baba' and so I gave him the book and he gave me the cool time.

So me and my comp laughed our heads of after that, I'm pretty sure I committed an unpardonable sin, but hey I think it's a good investment to him to trade a little cool time for a book that can bring eternal salvation into his life, in my defense. I probably would've given it to him anyways, even if he wouldn't make the deal.

Anyways I'm short for words, I'd just like to share what I've learned this week;

There is this one question that's haunted my mind for months: "You believe in God? Do you really believe that a loving Father would allow so much poverty, suffering, crime and pestilence to plague the African continent?"

It's a broken record, and it causes you to think deep..

I guess one thing I've picked up in the past year is that our present sufferings have a purpose, and that our God is a respecter of the recompense of reward, meaning that when unfathomable, unspeakable ugly-faced demons cause your heart to shudder, as you see the calamities of the world- as you feel cold sorrow for the sicknesses and depravity, and poverty of humankind, we must remember that someone a lot better and a lot sincerer and a lot bigger sees, and feels, and cares about those suffering children, including you. The reason we wander through strange valleys; famished in hope and abundant in sorrow, is because God knows what it takes to be like Him. He knows what it takes to be happy, and based on the simple fact that every person's chemical makeup is as diverse as the people of South Africa; God tries us to our various capacities, he lets us struggle just enough to know he lives and loves, and to ensure a glorious homecoming in the Kingdom of Heaven.
Whenever we experience adversity, we are experiencing a loving Father who is Celestializing a growing child's future. Whenever we see the sufferings of the world, we must assume that their eternal reward and happiness will be unequivocal to their struggles. Without bad there cannot be good. Without fear and complex and hopelessness, there cannot be faith and simplicity and hope.

I've acquired some sort of testimony of this Jesus Christ. Google won't prove to me that Jesus is the Savior, but on my mission I've learned a simple, yet insurmountable principle; Our faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.

By the revelations of the Holy Ghost, I have faith in Jesus Christ. I have a testimony that he walked on water in the Fourth watch of the Hebrew night. He rebuked mighty winds, he calmed the Galileean waves. He will calm our storms. He will calm our tempests.

I believe that he restored life and hope and stability to the lowest of the low, He humbled the greatest of the great, and he spoke peace to the fatherless. He took on my name for a brief, but infinite second in a blood-stained olive grove. Now he's asked me to take on His.

Furthermore, I have a testimony that the same God who touched the untouchable, who lifted the unliftable, who comforted the comfortless, whose hands were driven by nails into a cruel wooden cross; also appeared in the spring of 1820, in a sacred grove of trees, to a pure, inquisitive boy of 14 named Joseph. I have a testimony that the same God who bears scars on his hands and feet, spoke to young Joseph. I believe that he stands today, Lord of lords, King of kings, beaconing all nationalities, languages, colors and personalities to come unto Him, to believe in His gospel and to be saved.

I'm grateful to be a member of the Church. A Church of so many different colors. I'm grateful to be a Mormon because being a Mormon brings me closer to Jesus.

"He shall see the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied; by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities. Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death; and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bore the sins of many, and made intercession for the transgressors. (quoted by Abinadi, while standing in shackles and chains before King Noah)


Well I'm not sure what else to write about, thanks for your prayers and for your support. I love you guys so much. Keep this land in your prayers. Sorry for no pictures, if you were in this email shop you would understand.

Elder Tanner Noah Clegg

PS...Mom's note:  Another story wrote in his letter to me:

Then we went and taught a Malawian guy who lives clear out in the boonies. . Anyways it was a cool experience, we drove clear out on this gravel road super far from the church to meet this guy who was baptized in Malawi recently. He then moved this side and is now staying in a place close to Eloff, in this secluded little village that the gospel has never gotten close to. A bunch of his friends joined us for a restoration lesson, and although we couldn't really commit them to church, we did place a whole bunch of Book of Mormons and pamphlets and videos to hold them over until the church does eventually reach them, it was a cool experience.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for always sharing your testimony and your stories. It really means a lot to me and it makes me aware of the people I need to pray for. It helps me to remember my brother and sisters throughout the world that the Lord truly loves. It also helps me to remember that we need to reach out to the Lord. I think I have learned this even more as I have raised my own children. I offer them guidance but they want to do their own thing. So, I stand back and wait for them to reach out to me. I want them to have their own growing experiences and respect their free agency but there are so many times I just want to take away their pain and re-guide them. I know that they will not learn if I do it for them. Just like our loving Father in Heaven and our Savior Jesus Christ, they have given us our free agency to choose and he stands back and waits for us to seek him out. He is there with his loving arms open to hug and guide us but we have to CHOOSE the direction. As a parent, it is hard to sit back and watch but I have learned so much and I know my kids will learn the same. I love you, Tanner. Thank you for being such a great example through good times and hard times.

    Kristy

    ReplyDelete