Monday, September 14, 2015

#62 "Totzings Krugersdorp"


The whole need no physician.

Spring is upon us in South Africa. I absolutley love the African thunderstorms, they are unparraleled to just about anything else.

In winter, the savanna is a golden brown color accrossed the rolling tree-studded hills. It gets quite dry, and gets quite windy in the winter. The stench of smoke fills the air with the use of fuel-burning stoves and fires to warm the cold hands and feet through the night. Anyways, the scene in the winter is somewhat miserable, somewhat dead and deserted.

But this week marked the first thunderstorms of the year, I felt like those one guys on that one movie Holes; Happier than little african kids are to see a mulungu to see the rain.

When the rain starts to hammer the landscape, we watch the natural phenomenon of everything turning green. I'm talking super green. The storms breathe life into the entire land, it's really cool to watch the wonders done by the rainy season.

Just like the vegetation needs storms to grow and to beautify, so do we, as people need storms to grow.

This past week has been one of the toughest weeks on mission. One of those weeks where it seems like just about everything isn't really going well. But the world's natural evolving from the winter to spring has kind of inspired me this week.

This week I've grown like none other. I've learned lessons that haven't really registered before. This week has had it's fair share of personal thunderstorms, but it's caused me to grow. Don't be too scared scared of storms, without storms this beautiful and breathtaking continent would be desolate and dry and dull.

Anyways that's my little profound moment of the week. haha this week has stretched me a ton. It's outlined the important things to me, and caused a lot of self-introspection. But it's cool. How else can you expect to grow and become more like Heavenly Father?

Also had some other realizations this week. First off it kills me how easily and naturally people reject the book of mormon because it's not in the bible. Like c'mon, you think God would just speak to people in Palestine and leave out the rest of the world to figure out their way by themselves? Did Jesus not say "I'm the way, the truth, and the life"? If He really is the way, and if God really did create all men, and if His eternal glory, work and purpose really IS to "bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man", then who are we to think he didn't reveal His gospel and His power and His love to His other children?

While contacting petrol stations last night one guy who knew about the church was like "I don't believe that Joseph Smith is our Savior" another person was like: "You'll see Joseph Smith in hell".

It's interesting that essentially the first thing that the angel Moroni told young Joseph was "That my name should be had for good and evil among all nations, kindreds, and tongues, or that it should be both good and evil spoken of among all people." So whenever people say stuff like that to me I just shout a big AMEN to Moroni's prophecy. Lol do you think Joseph would've ever thought that people would be speaking evils about his name on the African continent? Well, actually he probably did. Because an angel of God told him that.

Anyways, I had a really sacred experience this week, and i won't be able to give it the sincerity and epic and sacredness that it deserves through a keyboard, but basically it was one of those 'i was planning to commit suicide today but you guys came' type-deals that really was profound. I just learned that I'm leaving Krugersdorp tomorrow, so I think it was one of the reasons I was sent here. Anyways to be short, pray for a guy named Joan (Yo-Anne) in Krugersdorp.

Well, to wrap things up, sometimes missionary work in a South African town seems like two shades under impossible. I'm basically serving in Holland right now. Because everyone here is either of Holland, Scottish, Dutch, or English decent. So it's rough. But no unhallowed hand can stop this work from progressing. Not even any of these unhallowed hands who kick us out of every mall, complex, and petrol station. God will allow it to go forward cuz it's His work. I believe that. Here's to all the testimonies borne this week to Moroni's prophecy.

Anyways I love the people in Krugersdorp, I love this adventure I'm on. I pray every morning that I can just testify to people. It's the number one goal everyday, to be able to bear testimony of Jesus Christ, and His prophet and His restored gospel. There's a certain spirit you start to feel, you begin to hunger to share the gospel with people. You start to care less about yourself, and more about others. You start to lose discouragement when people don't wanna hear you. You start to have fun doing missionary work. It's weird. It's helping you grow, and solidifying your testimony. I'll look back at my time on Krugersdorp with a smile in the future. Many times my comp Elder Adjei has been like 'we're doing everything right, but still nothings happening, what does God want us to do?' Bless his heart cuz what he said is hard, but when someone asked President Brown, in Israel; "Why did the Lord require such an extreme and unprecedented sacrifice from Abraham?" President Brown wisely repied "because Abraham had to learn something about Abraham."

Anyways, it's been a blessing to serve on the hallowed ground of Krugersdorp, a landmark and ensign of sorts, when it comes to the earliest developments of the gospel on the entire African Continent. One of, if not THE first place that the gospel was preached in this vast continent. A seed planted in Krugersdorp has eventually branched to the whole land of Africa. It was an honor i'll cherish for the rest of my life to have been laboring here.

I'd also like to share my testimony of these African people, and to clarify, when i say african I mean anyone who lives on this continent; black and white, bond and free;

I almost get tears when I think of the People of Africa, they are among the most humble and silently faithful of souls on this earth. In the same breath, they are among the most mighty and loyal amongst all nations of men. I love them, and I hope that I'll always be connected to them. They have pure souls, they will give what they have to glorify God. Sadly, many of them are kept from the truth, because they know not where to find it, but I personally believe that when the hastening truly begins, when the Lord reveals ways and means in which to more effectively and realisticly do missionary work on a wide-scale in the world, the African people will be among the first to hark to the Gospel's cry. They will be among the first to respond to the Master's becon to follow Him. 

Although I cannot fly through the air and preach the gospel like an angel of God, I'm grateful for the sacred and thin-veil experiences that I have still had, even though my arms are shortened and weakened through mortality, with the Lord's help my childish arms can be lengthened and strengthened to reach to those who are now prepared to receive this message with gladness. God loves Africa, I really believe that, and although I cannot do much, I'm doing what I can.

I love you guys. I miss you guys, sometimes I feel so far away from you guys but then I remember I'm in South Africa and im like yeah that's pretty far away.

Elder Tanner Noah Clegg





No comments:

Post a Comment