Monday, January 5, 2015

#27 What even is golfing?



New Years 2015
Just got a testimony this week that hard work pays off.

Also broke my nametag in half.

Plus i think it freaks Elder Savage out that I can blow bubbles off my tounge.

New Years 2014, me, jakell, mccall, jenna, and grant (Honduras mission)
 Also thinking back a year ago when me, grant, mccall, jenna, jakell were loading up the truck w/ surfboards heading to long beach for New Year’s. I don’t think I would’ve ever imagined that I’d be in Africa exactly a year later, preaching the gospel to my brothers and sisters in the township of Daveyton. Haven’t slept in any church parking lots with my hammock lately tho.


Anyways we started the week off right with a little game of golf on Monday:


Golf over here isn’t golf. There's a biggish patch of grass with a broken-down barbed wire fence around it in the middle of our township. In Africa, we call this thing a golf course. We used plastic garbage bags and sticks off trees for the pins and flags on the greens. There’s no one to make you pay, so as long as you can make it past the first hole where the old drunk dudes who think they’re good lounge around and criticize your swing, you’re home free.

So basically you swing and hit your ball, and you have to run straight after it or the little kids will run outta the bushes and steal your ball. There’s kids using the ‘greens’ you’re hitting to for soccer games. There’s people making out under all the trees. Everyone uses the golfcourse as a shortcut from point a to point b. You have a whole new set of challenges rather than just waterhazards it’s wild. Think they need to come up with a new name for township golf.

On a spiritual note this week was awesome- we’ve been working hard, and finally saw some ‘fruit’ i guess you could call it.

On Sunday at church, we’re just sitting there and like no one was there at 9 oclock when we were supposed to start. The normal members started to trickle in around then.. I was still a little discouraged because i thought there would be at least a couple of investigators at church. All of the sudden, during the sacrament hymn, literally the floodgates were open, and we had investigator after investigator pile in, sooo many people came in that we had to stop the meeting, and make room in the tiny little day-care-center-now-church for everyone. Seriously guys im telling you we had a multitude come to church on Sunday. I couldn’t help but just smile watching all these people we met the weeks before make it to church. At the birth of the cluster(about a month ago) we struggled to manage to have 30 people at church. Yesterday we had 71, it was insane.

A sacrament meeting I won’t be forgetting anytime soon. Just really the best way to end off the week. I was just astonished, we somehow had 14 investigators at church. Easily the best sacrament meeting of my entire life. Elder Savage and I couldn’t even sit and watch the testimony meeting(which was surprisingly over 50% English yesterday) because there wasn’t enough room, we had to sit in another room and listen. I’ve never experienced anything quite like it.


Kinda funny that a couple of 18 and 19 year old kids are hyped over some people coming to church. Like where else in the world do you find teenagers worrying over whether someone is gonna make it to church or not? I’m just really grateful to be on a mission. Don’t pass up the opportunity if it presents itself in any form to you.

Well guys, i hope your new year was great, I miss you tons. Love you lots.

Ngiyukathanda,

Elder Tanner Clegg

 “Teach me to walk in the light of His love
Teach me to pray to my Father above
Teach me to know all the things that are right
Teach me, teach me, to walk in the Light”
Braii 

No comments:

Post a Comment