Monday, November 3, 2014

#18 SPIDER BITES, DRUNK GUYS, AND DEATH CHILIS


I love the kids!

Not too much time fellas, Mzanzi is going well, yesterday night me and Elder Wilkinson were teaching a powerful lesson, and all the sudden a drunk guy named bongani walked in, and begged us to pray for him (honestly nothing out of the ordinary yet). He went to fetch his wife, and we finished the lesson which was sweet.

 After he walked in with his equally as weird wife,
These 2 drunk guys were trying to steal my salad
 there was a big pile of these crazy 
I gave them a pass along card instead...
deathly hot chilis on the table that we were using to teach the plan of salvation somehow. Anyways me and elder wilkinson said that maybe eating a chili would help Bongani not wanna drink beer any more. So he picked one up and started looking at it, then everyone in the house started chanting eat it eat it, even the Zangoma (witchdocter) gogo came out of nowhere and started chanting. So this guy drunk outta his mind put it in his mouth and chewed it fast and swallowed, and I've never laughed so hard in my life- he went crazy. Like he was already crazy before being drunk but he went mad crazy. He asked us to pray through screams and tears and fire breath, and i guess in Africa when one person prays then everyone prays so he was screaming while praying cuz his tongue was on fire and the Zan Goma was praying weird witch stuff and Elder Wilkinson was praying and laughing and it was honestly the weirdest experience of my life, all the way up until he wouldn't leave till i gave him a picture of Jesus and he Hamba'd. 

Anyways, I've been thinking loads about the pioneers over here as well as the mormon pioneers who came acrossed the plains. Also have been thinking of the principle of having gratitude even in times of hurt, or times when your world is flipped upside down. Gratitude interestingly is supposedly the remedy for trials, even though sometimes its the last thing we wanna think about. Something we can all implement in our lives a lil more. I just feel the spirit every time I read this excript from Francis Webster, a pioneer who came acrossed in the Martin Handcart company (the company my triple great grandpa Henry Clegg came acrossed) anyways, he says:

"Not one of that company ever apostatized or left the Church, because everyone of us came through with the absolute knowledge that God lives, for we became acquainted with Him in our extremities. I have pulled my handcart when I was so weak and weary from illness and lack of food that I could hardly put one foot ahead of the other.  I have looked ahead and seen a patch of sand or a hill slope and I have said, I can go only that far and there I must give up, for I cannot pull the load through it." he continues "I have gone on to that sand, and when I reached it, the cart began pushing me.  I have looked back many times to see who was pushing my cart, but my eyes saw no one. I knew that the angels of God were there." "Was I sorry that I chose to come by handcart? No. Neither then nor any minute of my life since. The price we paid to become acquainted with God was a PRIVILEGE to pay, and I am thankful that I was privileged to come in the Martin Handcart Company."

 Like whaaaat. Major chills. There's something to be said about one of the fastest ways of getting to know God is through the fiery eye of a personalized trial. Whether it's pushing a handcart hundreds of miles through snow, tears, and bloody footprints. Or anything twisted Satan can come up with in these latter days that we need to overcome. It was prophecied by some important guy that "The mormon pioneers would respect the generations today for what we're going through" so I guess we cant expect much less than the tough times that the pioneers came through. Super daunting, I feel like I would have just said I'm fine leaving the church and living a normal, warm, easy life. But keep in mind that Francis says that it was a Privellege to go through those extremities to know God, so there's some value to be accounted for by trials that help us get to know God. Even though they sometimes suck to us to be totally honest. The product in the end is worth the journey. Good thing Heavenly Father loves us enough to help us out.

Anyways sorry to be spiritual for a sec, This gospel and stuff tho is pretty amazing when you start to picture it a little bit. Anyways things are good, summer is like here. It's hotter than Hadies but it's all good. We should have a new cluster coming into our area this week, the missionary work will start booming. Also fast and testimony meeting in the lil cluster was insane. Like the average mean time for a testimony is literally 25 minutes, so like 6 people bore testimonies and we went an hour over time. Powerfull ne?

It was also touching to hear the 90 year old gogo's testimony, who talked about how she prayed for years to be able to take the sacrament, she prayed for Jesus to come visit her. She then told the story of Zacheus in the tree, how he just wanted to see the Savior making His way through Jericho. And then Jesus told Zacheus to come down cuz he's coming to his house. And the gogo said, now Jesus has come to my house, when I couldn't go to His. Touching. A lil testimony of the love our Heavenly Father has for us personally, whether on a large or small scale.

Elder Clegg
Area:  Daveyton
Companion:  Geoffrey Wilkinson

One of my favorite lil girls


"Come, little child, and together we'll learn 
Of His commandments, that we may return
Home to His presence, to live in His sight-
Always, always to walk in the light."
Alma 56:47

We finally found some animals to ride in Africa

Elder Wilkinson and Elder Clegg


Playground for the lil kids

Playground for the big kids



No comments:

Post a Comment