Thursday, July 17, 2014

#2. FIRST AND LAST WEEK OF THE SOUTH AFRICA MTC

I never realized how valuable sleeping is until I came to this place.  Enjoy not being jet lagged.  For the past week and a half I've only gotten a couple hours of sleep every night, it's super rough, especially cuz we are stuck inside this place that we've nicknamed "spirit prison" appropriately.  It's great, I've learn loads.  But not gonna lie it's tough.  I guess the thought of two years is kinda daunting.  Mix that with weird food and no sleep and it's a lil bit of a bumpy start.  It's okay though, I'm excited out of my mind to experience the culture.  It's crazy, like our MTC co-presidents say certain words in our spiritual lessons that back in America we like to call "swear words" as well as all the other foreign missionaries here.  It is just different.  My companion is this 21 year old scottish dude.  He is a great guy, great testimony, and sings opera Scottish songs all the time,  I get called out for my "Improper English" on a daily basis but he is a great guy in the end.  Couldn't really ask for more. 

Like I said it's different over here.  You can't trust people, with gold and diamond mines going under, it's left this country with a unemployment rate above 30%.  It's sad, but with more unemployment comes more crime.  The sister missionaries aren't allowed in here so I won't have to worry about getting hitched to a sister in the mission field (brother butler).  But anyways, we had to have a few classes on what to do if we get mugged, windows in cars get smashed(smash and grab), or if someone tries to hijack our car.  They say you generally won't get hurt if you comply and give them your money and stuff, but people in Africa don't really have a ton of respect for missionaries.  You can't really blame them, they're just tryna survive.  We have it so good.  Africa is absolutely beautiful.  But there is alot of evil surrounding it.  A lot of ugly things that happen here. But we must remember that even out of the ugliest vilest backgrounds, come the most beautiful people.  There are Amazing people clear over here in Africa.  I guess I'll be here for two years finding them.  For all you future elders/sister missionaries out there: the MTC is tough.  You feel like you must know everything.  If I could offer any advice, it's to just be yourself.  The lord needs all of US because of who WE are.  There will be people who are smarter, more spiritual, faster learning, more emotionly stable, better looking, etc.  But we are all on the same team.  If you have any time, start reading in Mosiah 17.  Sometimes in the mtc, we get (at least me) too concerned with knowing docterine, every scripture etc. I dunno, this story gives me comfort, and strength.  They were preaching to the lamanites, I'm preaching to the South Africans.  We all have our lamanites waiting for us.  Even though, it may seem daunting, difficult, or scary- 1st Nephi 3:7.  Remember that.  I'm tryna memorize it in zulu- apparently a language that I'll have to pick up.  Thanks for all the support.  I love you guys. Also mom where is my power converter and driving record thing? I'll be driving on the left side of the roads here pretty soon.  God bless.  Be yourself, because Heavenly Father loves yourself.
-Elder Clegg
Area:  Johannesburg MTC
MTC Companion:  Elder McCartney

ps playing soccer in Africa with New Zealanders is meannnnn (sick).

Tanner's 1st day in Johannesburg and Elder Ruekhart's last day


Elder Clegg met Elder Menendez




Not sure which is his companion...but this is the group that arrived last Thursday, July 10.

FURTHER INFORMATION FROM HIS MOM:

First, if you are reading this, thanks for supporting my son and being his friend or his relative or whoever you are.  He wouldn't be where he was without the support behind him.  And I thank you from the bottom of my heart!

The MTC lasts for 12 days.  On July 22, the 13 missionaries in the MTC will be dispersed to their English speaking missions throughout Africa.  Tanner will be picked up by the AP's in the Johannesburg Mission.  He will go to the MIssion Office (which is a part of the MTC complex) and he will meet his new MIssion President and his wife (Michael & Linda Dunn who just arrived 3 weeks ago).  Then he will be assigned a companion.  I am not certain if he spend the night at the mission home and then heads out to his new zone  Or if he goes straight out.

P-Day.  Still don't know which day it will be...Monday or Tuesday?  Just know he can't write for about 2 weeks because next week he will be in the middle of a "transfer".  The following week he should get a little computer time.  

His MTC Companion is Scottish.  The others in the MTC are from new zealand, ugandan, ghanian, and australian elders. 

If you want to be on his email list, email me your email address at juliannebc@yahoo.com

If you want to send him a letter or a package here is his info:
Elder Tanner Noah Clegg
South Africa JOhannesburg Mission
Private Bag X4
Ansfrere
1711
South Africa

A package is a little different so contact me and I can give you info.  And his mission is part of the pouch system.  If you want the info on that , email me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment